Our website uses cookies to enhance the visitor experience (what's a cookieCookies are small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit a website. They are mainly used as a way of improving the website functionalities or to provide more advanced statistical data.). Are you happy for us to use cookies during your visits?
Please note: continuing without making a choice equates to giving us your consent, which you can withdraw at any time via our cookies policy page.



Tax Tip



Tax Tip

Grandparents: don't miss out on national insurance credits

A parent who gives up work is provided with national insurance credits while their children are aged under 12. Under the Specified Adult Childcare credits scheme, if a parent works, the credits can instead be claimed by relatives under State Pension age who care for the child in question.

A grandparent or other relative who takes part in the scheme for a full year is able to claim an extra 1/35th of the state pension worth up to £231 a year. Furthermore, individuals who have missed out on the scheme can make backdated claims to 2011.